Project goal: Design and implement a lightweight, high performance solution to run multiple WordPress websites from a single installation, that,
- unlike WPMU, is optimized for the use case when a single entity runs and controls multiple websites1
- unlike WPMU, supports domains out of the box, not only subdomains
- unlike WPMU, is high performacne, i.e. it does not add any noticable overhead to site performance
- unlike WPMU, does not suffer from the “not WPMU compatible” syndrom due to API differences between single and multisite mode
This and quite a few more websites run on exactly this technology.
- The WPMU target case is driven by the needs of wordpress.com. It is that of mutiple independent users who each run and control their own website. [↩]